1st catalog dropcap on 2nd catalog DJ

J B Krygier jbkrygier at owu.edu
Sun May 8 08:59:48 EDT 2005

On May 7, 2005, at 9:08 PM, Scot Kamins wrote:

> Actually, I think there are three or four on Dogeared but I can't
> remember where they are. (Simple enough to check, though, since this
> is the first one I've seen that was not 1st catalog.)
>
> John's point is well-taken, though. Why haven't we seen more of these
> critters?

Because people threw them away!

My point was also about how many 1st catalog (or lets say first year,
1917)
Modern Library books in DJ exist.  I can find two 1st catalog and five
2nd
catalog dust jackets at dogeared:

France: Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard (2nd Catalog?)
France: Red Lilly (1st catalog)
Ibsen: Doll's House etc. (2nd catalog)
Meredith: Diana of the Crossways (2nd catalog)
Moore: Confessions of a Young Man (2nd catalog?)
Stevenson: Treasure Island (2nd catalog)
Strindberg: Married (1st catalog)

Seven 1917 B&L Modern Library books with dust jackets, then.  I assume
there
are more out there with collectors (anyone have a clue how many?).
Given the
thousands of ML books printed in 1917 this is an amazingly low number.

John K.