Modern Library question

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sat May 7 18:30:15 EDT 2005

The Philosophy of Nietzsche (G34) was published in April
1937.  It combined 4 titles from the regular Modern Library:
Thus Spake Zarathustra (1917), Beyond Good and Evil (1917),
The Genealogy of Morals (1918), and Ecce Homo & The Birth of
Tragedy (1927).  It was originally printed from the plates
of the 4 regular ML volumes and had four separate sequences
of pagination.  The book was reset in 1945 with a single
sequence of pagination.  The 1927 copyright date is for
Clifton Fadiman's translations of Ecce Homo and The Birth of
Tragedy, which were done for the ML and first published that
year.  The copyright statement wasn't included in earlier
printings -- the earliest I've seen with the copyright
statement dates from 1949, based on the list of titles
inside the jacket.  Later printings give the copyright date
as 1927, 1954; 1954 is the date when the copyright was
renewed.

Fadiman was recommended by Irwin Edman of Columbia
University.  He was then one of Edman's graduate students;
I think the Nietzche translation was his first book.  Cerf
and Klopfer originally tried to get rights to the
translation of Ecce Homo published in the U.S. by
Macmillan.  Macmillan imported the volume from their parent
firm in London and had to get permission from the London
office.  After waiting four months without a reply, Cerf and
Klopfer decided to commission their own translation.

Barry