Leather&DJ Salome

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Wed Mar 23 18:19:03 EST 2005

At 3:57 PM -0500 3/23/05, Hal and Angela Whisnant wrote:
I just came acroos a B&L Wilde, Salome with a nice DJ for about 3.00
bucks. It has a 1/4 hole just between, and to the right of the # and
colophon. There is chipping and a few tears around the edges of the
DJ, and a light water stain at the bottom, but other than that it's
in pretty good shape. The leather cover has a few very small, light
spots (probably from mold) but all the gold is still there and very
bright.
I started to sell it, but counld not bring myself to push the button.
I have not run across many of these with the DJ in this good a shape.
I'll probably keep it for a while, until my book buying habit has me
overstretched, and I need to get the monkey off my back.

However, I am having trouble with the dating. The colophon is a
running tourch bearer, and sits above the #83 on the DJ. It is on the
front cover of the leather, but not on the spine.There are two lines
at the top of the spine, and one at the bottom, under "Modern
Library." There is no mention of the publisher, though, anywhere in
the book. Just that Wolf was the binder. The bottom of the title page
states: "PUBLISHERS   : :   ::  NEW YORK."
Any help would be of great value, and well appreciated.
Thanks, Hal

If I'm reading your e-mail correctly, sounds like it's not a B&L, but
a Modern Library company published somewhere between 1925 and 1929.
If there's no torchbearer on the front panel of the DJ, it's 1925 or
1926. If there's a small torchbearer at the top of the DJ front
panel, it's probably 1926 to 1928. If it's a larger torchbearer near
the top of the front panel, it's likely to be 1928 or 1929.

Anybody else wanna take a stab?

At $3.00, you done good. :-D

--
  Scot Kamins, FCB-0

Have you joined Dogeared yet?  Gain access to over 1600 dust jacket
images and information about over 800 book titles & more than 400
authors, plus methods you won't find anywhere else for identifying ML
first editions. Check out
http://www.dogeared.com/General/howToSubscribe.html and kick in your
fair share.