"Glazed" spines

Cottonwood Books cottonwoodbooks at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 1 12:22:33 EST 2005

Looking again, all of mine are "brothers and sisters".  All belonging to the same previous owners.  Interestingly, all men.  Agreed, this "glazing"/ shellac must have been featured in a magazine or something.  Really looking now, mine all date to the 1940s.  My earliest is a Fall of '39 copy.

benj

Sharon Biederman <sbiederm at nova.umuc.edu> wrote:
John,

I've seen dozens of MLs with shellac applied to spines or sometimes
the whole book. At some point there must have been an article in a
magazine advising this practice because the instances are too frequent to
explain by coincidence.

Sharon