question on #28 Madame Bovary

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Tue Jun 21 19:24:34 EDT 2005

I stated my question incorrectly, for which I apologize. I should
have asked if the introduction by  Peyre was present. According to
Toledano (Guide, 2, revised, p. 43),  Aveling was the translator for
the version of Madam Bovary that was in print 1917-1950. In 1950 a
new version came out with an introduction by Peyre (still translated
by Peyre), lasting until 1957 when the Steegmuller translation and
intro came out.

MAybe the whole thing is moot - is it a new edition just because an
intro was added to the same book, or is it just a variation on the
old edition?

WhaddoIknow?

On Jun 21, 2005, at 3:46 PM, Bill DiBenedetto wrote:

> the translator is Aveling
>

>> On Jun 21, 2005, at 2:59 PM, Bill DiBenedetto wrote:
>>

>>> i 've acquired a #28 with the 1949 DJ -- the jacket price is $1.25
>>> and it
>>> lists 334 titles.  There is no date on any inside pages.
>>> i was matching the DJ numbers with the list on the back pages. In
>>> both cases
>>> the highest number of regular MLs was 262 and for the giants was
>>> 73, which
>>> adds up to 335.
>>> So i have two questions:  Is this a first edition? and is the
>>> difference in
>>> title numbers a typo or is there some some other explanation.
>>>

>> Bill,
>> Who's the translator, Aveling or Peyre?
>>

>> - Scot Kamins

- Scot Kamins
"Speak your truth, even as your voice quakes."