ModLib: Collected Works of Carroll

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sun Jun 19 13:02:12 EDT 2005

On Jun 19, 2005, at 7:08 AM, Clare Imholtz wrote:

> The book has an inscription dated Mar 15 1940.  It is
> dark red, blocked and lettered in silver, with a red
> and white headband. T.e. stained red. The highest G
> No. on the inside of the dj is G30, the titles include
> Myers, but not Nietzsche (dating the dj to Fall 1936).
> The Price of Giants on the inside of the DJ is $1.10
> but on the front flap there is $1.25 pasted over. How
> can I best date this book?

I'm guessing that the book may have indeed been printed in 1936
(although I have no comment about the endpapers) and the dust jacket
was added to the book in 1939 which Toledano indicates in the Guide
[2nd revised edition]  on page 157 was the year that giants increased
to $1.25. I can only guess that a box of old stock was used and
married to later dust jackets.

This, of course, is all wild speculation on my part.

Scot Kamins

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing." -- Edmund Burke