ModLib: Collected Works of Carroll

Clare Imholtz muldoone99 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 19 10:08:53 EDT 2005

I recently bought an early edition of the Complete
Works of Lewis Carroll, and as a new member of
dogeared.com, I’m delighted to be able to make a
contribution to the knowledgebase. And inevitably I
have some questions!

New Information: The green dj with the surround of
Tenniel characters dated on dogeared as 1936 is signed
by Cassens.  The signature (which is under the grass
beneath Alice’s feet in the lower right) may include
initials (GL? ML? MC?), but these could just as likely
be merely blades of grass.

Questions:
The t.p. verso identifies this as a First Modern
Library Edition, 1936, but it also states at the
bottom, “End sheets designed by Rockwell Kent,” while
in fact the endpapers are plain white.  I assume this
indicates a later printing, and the first printing had
Kent end sheets.  Can anyone describe the Rockwell
Kent endpapers for this book?

The book has an inscription dated Mar 15 1940.  It is
dark red, blocked and lettered in silver, with a red
and white headband. T.e. stained red. The highest G
No. on the inside of the dj is G30, the titles include
Myers, but not Nietzsche (dating the dj to Fall 1936).
The Price of Giants on the inside of the DJ is $1.10
but on the front flap there is $1.25 pasted over. How
can I best date this book?

I think that's it.  Thanks for your help!

Clare Imholtz