SOME UPDATES TO YOUR GUIDE CORRECTIONS

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sat Jul 30 20:44:52 EDT 2005

John is correct about the first printing of The Plague.  It
was published in spring 1961 and has a spring 1961 Giants list
(titles through G83, Edmund Wilson) at the end of the volume
and a spring 1961 (405) jacket.  The May 1961 first printing
of 20,000 copies sold so well that there was a second printing
of 10,000 copies in December 1961 and two printings of 15,000
copies each in 1962.

The second printing retains the "First Printing" statement on
the verso but has a fall 1961 Giants list and a fall 1961
(403) jacket -- hence the confusion.

Barry