Dickens (was:Stop buying books?)

Bill DiBenedetto billdi at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 29 18:50:25 EDT 2005

ron -- no -- each novel was written  in parts (usually several chapters
long) and published in publications that Dickens either edited or wrote for.
It was a way to keep reader interest going and to buy the next magazine.  It
was also an amazing feat because he often only had a general idea where
everything was going as he wrote.  There was no continuation between novels.
They all stand as separate entities, though there is a progression and
continuity in Dickens' ideas and themes, especially as he grew as a writer.
Pickwick Papers, his first, is nothing like his later novels, such as Our
Mutual Friend or Bleak House.

bill
206-491-0296 (wk)
206-963-0499 (personal)