Stop buying books?

Bill DiBenedetto billdi at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 29 17:35:25 EDT 2005

ditto all that -- speed reading is fine for trashy novels and (some)
mysteries and sf, but for the classics of literature, history and philosophy
it doesn't work. ok i guess if one just wants to say it's been read, but
where's the savoring of the ideas and nuances of plot and characterization?
sometimes you have to put a book down in order to absorb what you've just
read (well i do anyway). I also keep a chapbook handy where i can jot down
good quotes and sentences as a i go along.
Dickens forced his readers to wait because he serialized his novels --
sometimes i like to break off at his to-be-continued points and imagine the
anticipation and excitement of waiting for the next chapters to be
published. what a time to be a reader -- he was his era's rock star.
it's not a race  -- i realized long ago i'll never get through it all but my
idea of a heavenly afterlife (if there is one) is a library, a comfortable
chair, and good light. on the other hand, i'm always a little stressed as  i
near the end of a good book because now i have to choose the next one. it's
an important choice becuase what if i don't find the library?

as for john's "meager 500" -- what does that make my 100 or so? miniscule i
guess

bill
206-491-0296 (wk)
206-963-0499 (personal)