Stop buying books?

J B Krygier jbkrygier at owu.edu
Wed Jul 27 18:50:38 EDT 2005

On Jul 25, 2005, at 8:05 PM, Peter C. Patton wrote:

> We cant stop buying books. Ecclesiastes 12:12 says
> "There is no end to this buying of books."

Amen.

On Jul 25, 2005, at 8:54 PM, Steve Fox wrote:

> I buy, and read, a lot of books, and have for 50 years, but I think
> that reading as we know it will be a cultural artifact in the first
> world by the end of this century, practiced by only a few academics
> and eccentric hobbyists.  Speech recognition and generation, in
> conjunction with neural interfaces, are now at the same primitive
> stage of development as Franklin's key-on-a-kitestring experiments
> were 250 years ago; by 2100, they will be advanced well beyond
> functional levels and applications that we are currently capable of
> imagining.

For a demo of how you can read on your cell phone
(which is not exactly a neural interface) see the link
about halfway down this article about "rapid serial
visual presentation" (RSVP - ick!)

http://www.mobilemagazine.com/archives/2005/07/tech_by_design_3.html

	or http://tinyurl.com/arrao

Demo is: http://www.mobilemagazine.com/speedreader/

Click "forward" to start it going.

You could probably get an iPod to do this too, and certainly
you could store all the books in the ML (and probably
Everyman's too) on one iPod.

...but what do you collect here?  The cell phone/iPod you
first read that novel on that moved you so?  The empty bottles
of asprin from the headaches you got from reading this way?
The credit card receipt when you paid $49.95 for the entire
ML in digital form from Amazon?

jk