The Fireside Book of Famous British Stories

JPetersonlhi at aol.com JPetersonlhi at aol.com
Sat Jul 9 23:30:09 EDT 2005

In a message dated 7/9/2005 7:52:44 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
goodbooks at webtv.net writes:
Any chance of G77.1 being of the same design and format? I have never seen a
copy of the book..also note it was published a year later.
It is quite similar in DJ design and TOC layout, and also began as a Bedside
Book  (of Famous American Stories); both British and American were co-edited
by Bennet Cerf and published by RH.  In the intro to G77.1, Cerf writes, "We
were, in truth, compiling a 'Bedside Book'--one that a tired reader, just before
turning in for a night's sleep, might open at random and round out his day by
reading one of the gems of the short story literature of our country."

Thanks to those of you that shed some light on this odd-ball 54.2.  My
original disappointment has left, and I'm glad to have it, both because I like books
with mysterious pasts and also because I got mine cheaper than Joe sold his
for :>)  Now, the search will continue for a normal 54.2.

John Peterson