A question

JPetersonlhi at aol.com JPetersonlhi at aol.com
Sat Jul 9 14:58:20 EDT 2005

I just bought a book on ABE, and need some help deciding how I feel about it.
 The book is G54.2 (Anthology Brit. Stories).  The book arrived apparently as
described, but I soon noticed that it was 1/3" taller than all of the other
ML Giants on the shelf.

When I removed the  Modern Library DJ, I was disappointed to find that the
book's title is The Bedside Book of Famous British Stories, also published by
Random House.  The same 80 stories, with the same editors.  However, the DJ
promises 1248 pages, and the volume I have delivers only 1233, probably missing
the normal catalogue.

My question is this: Am I the victim of an improper marriage by a bookseller?
 Or, could it be the product of Random House putting some odds and ends
together?  I wonder about this since the ML Dust Jacket (1957 vintage, w/379 v.
listed on the inside) fits the Bedside Book perfectly,  both being about 8 5/8"
instead of the normal 8 1/4".  Are "normal" copies of G54.2 the "normal" height
for giants (8 1/4)?

John Peterson