OCLC Top 1000 Books in Libraries

20 Ants archetype at 20ants.com
Sun Jan 23 12:50:39 EST 2005

Well, it's all due to what's valued in popular culture. That changes with
every generation: some generations value intrinsic worth (if that can be
defined), some generations value popularity itself because they equate that
with intrinsic worth. Look at the current celebrity-obsessed culture that
will buy a magazine specifically to find out what Paris Hilton wore to a
party, but hasn't read a book of any kind in 2004.

Back when I was selling antiques and modern desig,n folks would ask me what
items they should invest in. I'd say "none" and they thought I was crazy
even after I explained: what's popular and valuable now will lose
popularity and value later, guaranteed. For the average Joe or Josephine
the only item to invest in is the one you can buy and then sell at a profit
before the sun goes down. The exceptions are the earliest and finest
examples of emerging design trends, but only museums, the outrageously
wealthy, and corporations of collectors can afford these.

The very same principles apply to books. Today's popular is tomorrow's
thrift store donation. The exceptions being the earliest and finest
examples of emerging trends. I as a mere human being can't afford these. I
can't even afford old Classic Comics.

But I digress, as usual.

-Michael

At 11:49 AM 1/23/2005, you wrote:
>In a message dated 1/22/05 7:25:35 PM Central Standard Time,
>GOODBOOKS at webtv.net writes:
>
>>Fashion of the time or,short memories.
>

>I would agree with this.  How does anyone compare Tolkein with Shakespear
>or Dante?  Perhaps on a commercial basis!

20 Ants
5709 Broadway St. Indianapolis IN 46220-2569

   Books & materials subject to prior sale, order by e-mail or telephone.
   Prices are net USD, payment by PayPal to archetype at 20ants.com,
   or international money order/check with order. Indiana pays 6% tax.
   Institutions invoiced. Books returnable in 10 days: contact us first.
   Domestic S&H: $3.50 1st book, $1.00 per additional book by USPS
   at Media rate. International, Priority Mail, or other carrier by quotation.
   books, individually and in lots,  specialties are non-fiction & literature
   Member: Independent Online Booksellers Association (IOBA)