Which Edition do I have of ML's Dante - The Divine Comedy?

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Mon Jan 10 11:25:04 EST 2005

At 10:17 AM -0500 1/10/05, Scott Sanders wrote:
I have a Modern Library printing of Dante's The Divine Comedy with a
copyright of 1932. There is no Dust Jacket by which to gauge the
edition. It does have an Author/Title Reference in the back where
Dante's The Divine Comedy is numbered as 208. This hardback version
is listing Cerf & Klopfer as publishers yet I believe this is pre
Random House and the ML logo is consistent with other ML publications
from the 1920s, early 30s. The casing material is exceptionally thin
in construction and has the typical marbled flyleaves. The CR page
lists H. Wolff as the Binder.

Any ideas as to which edition this may be?  If I have left any clues
out then please ask for more information.

Random House was born in the late 20's, so a book with a copyright of
1932 is by definition in the Random House era. Also marbled fly
leaves/end papers wasn't typical of the ML period in question; there
should be Kent endpapers as seen in Toledano pages 78-79.
--
      `\|||/                     Scot Kamins
       (@@)