Another late '60s anomaly binding

20 Ants archetype at 20ants.com
Tue Jan 4 19:11:06 EST 2005

It may not have been a mistake at all. Die sets required maintenance, their
small radii wore down and they lost their definition, sometimes they just
broke: likely the bindery did whatever was expedient to get the job out the
door.

Also it wouldn't surprise me to find that the bindry stored an overrun of
piece parts for a long term. Back then there wasn't the burning desire to
have absolutely no stock or inventory like there is now.

-Michael

At 08:57 AM 1/4/2005, GORDON NEAVILL wrote:
>There were separate dies for stamping the spine and front
>panel of ML bindings.  The "ml" front panel design was
>introduced in 1967; any ML book that has this front panel is
>1967 or later.  The dies used for stamping the spines of
>these bindings date from 1961 (Shaw's Short Stories) and
>around 1940 (Mayor of Casterbridge).  There are two possible
>explanations for the use of the older spine dies for these
>titles: (1) the ML hadn't got round to making new spine dies
>for these titles, or (2) the binder used the old dies by
>mistake.
>
>Barry

20 Ants
5709 Broadway St. Indianapolis IN 46220-2569

   Books & materials subject to prior sale, order by e-mail or telephone.
   Prices are net USD, payment by PayPal to archetype at 20ants.com,
   or international money order/check with order. Indiana pays 6% tax.
   Institutions invoiced. Books returnable in 10 days: contact us first.
   Domestic S&H: $3.50 1st book, $1.00 per additional book by USPS
   at Media rate. International, Priority Mail, or other carrier by quotation.
   books, individually and in lots,  specialties are non-fiction & literature
   Member: Independent Online Booksellers Association (IOBA)