Another late '60s anomaly binding

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Tue Jan 4 08:57:20 EST 2005

There were separate dies for stamping the spine and front
panel of ML bindings.  The "ml" front panel design was
introduced in 1967; any ML book that has this front panel is
1967 or later.  The dies used for stamping the spines of
these bindings date from 1961 (Shaw's Short Stories) and
around 1940 (Mayor of Casterbridge).  There are two possible
explanations for the use of the older spine dies for these
titles: (1) the ML hadn't got round to making new spine dies
for these titles, or (2) the binder used the old dies by
mistake.

Barry