Another late '60s anomaly binding

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Tue Jan 4 00:06:12 EST 2005

At 9:31 PM -0500 1/3/05, John Krygier wrote:
>Hi Modlib,
>
>Awhile back I found a copy of Shaw's "Selected Short Stories"
>with a peculiar mix of binding style 10 - the spine (early
>1960s) & 14 - the front (late 1960s):
>
>http://go.owu.edu/~jbkrygie/ml_shaw/ml_shaw.html
>
>I just found another binding like this, on a copy of Hardy's
>"Mayor of Casterbridge" (17.2).
>
>http://makingmaps.owu.edu/modernlibrary/hardymayor.jpg
>
>The book is in the tall, late '60s binding with the redesigned
>dust jacket.  Curious if anyone else has this particular edition,
>and if it has the odd binding.  I think Gordon said these were
>post 1970 printings.

Boy, those are so strange! I wonder how that combination happened?
Could stamping have been a two-step process, so that the spine got
stamped in the early 60's with the whole binding stored for 10 years
or so until needed and then blind-stamped on the front panel?
--
      `\|||/                     Scot Kamins
       (@@)