"Glazed" spines

John Krygier jbkrygier at owu.edu
Mon Feb 28 08:10:29 EST 2005

On Feb 27, 2005, at 4:16 PM, Cottonwood Books wrote:

> On several MLs, without their DJs the spines, and only the spines, are
> sorta glazed.  Anyone know anything about these, or what this glaze
> is?  The ones I have are not X-Lib.

I have one that seems to have shellac on it, maybe this is the same
thing.  I assume someone thought they were helping to preserve the
book.

There seems to be some olde book collector supplies that were not
healthy for books.  For example, the old dust jacket covers with
the black tape along the top and bottom of the jacket (that, of
course, sticks to the DJ and book in some cases).

Something for the "what were they thinking" files.

john k.