DJ addition to the Guide

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Tue Feb 15 21:07:40 EST 2005

At 8:51 PM -0500 2/15/05, John Krygier wrote:
>On Feb 14, 2005, at 12:59 PM, Scot Kamins wrote:
>
>>>  I found a copy of Hudson's "Green Mansions" with a #5 binding, 159 titles
>>>  on the DJ, and a Spring 1929 list, in a B dust jacket.  A similar DJ is
>>>  shown at Dogeared, but Henry's Guide only notes only a P DJ for this title
>>>  in the 1928+ column.
>>
>>  John, I'm confused. Dogeared shows a "b" for 1926 and a "B" for
>>1931, putting the latter in the same category as your 1929. What am
>>I missing?
>
>Henry's Guide (you know, to the Modern Library) does not list the B DJ.

Ah. Yes. To be sure.

Let me make a bold, daring, and (dare I say it?) on-the-edge comment
about this. Henry's attempt to list DJs was a great start on the
idea, No one had attempted it before in published form. But clearly
it was just that - a preliminary attempt. As opposed to nearly all
other areas of the Guide, that section falls far short on
completeness and reliability, as Henry himself warned. It is five
years old, and the information there has been overtaken by events.

In this one area, I conclude that, because of the dozens of people
who have  contributed images over the years, Dogeared has become the
real published authority on what dust jackets exist and - drawing
from the "allegedly Missing DJs" page - what MIGHT exist.

I suggest that folks ignore Henry's notes in the Guide and rely on
Dogeared. While Dogeared isn't totally complete, it certainly is the
most accurate and most complete of published sources.

--
  Scot Kamins, FCB-0

Have you joined Dogeared yet?  Gain access to over 1600 dust jacket
images and information about over 800 book titles & more than 400
authors, plus methods you won't find anywhere else for identifying ML
first editions. Check out
http://www.dogeared.com/General/howToSubscribe.html and kick in your
fair share.