Fwd: Re: Bookbinding w/ ML

J B Krygier jbkrygier at owu.edu
Fri Dec 30 20:16:25 EST 2005

fwd: HTML removed  --jk

Begin forwarded message:

From: Allbooks at aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:07:54 EST
Subject: Re: Bookbinding  w/ ML
To: modlib at algol.owu.edu

In a message dated 12/30/2005 6:02:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
cottonwoodbooks at yahoo.com writes:

> Glancing through a DIY bookbinding book at the library and  came
> across these
> two photos.  They also show the book with the cover  torn off, but
> it's too
> dark to see the torch bearer in a scan.  It made  me think of how
> we always
> hear about ML being favorites for bookbinding  courses (although
> I've not seen
> one).  Enjoy!
>
> blc
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/cottonwoodbooks/binding.jpg
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/cottonwoodbooks/binding.jpg

BUT please note:  The technique shown, (which I confess I used  to
use) in
which the edge of a piece of paper is used to shield the page to
which the
loose page is to be tipped, is NOT recommended in that it will
produce  a sharply
defined fault line, and thus a greater probability that the tipped
page will
crack along the edge of the glue, especially if the page is opened  very
often.  A cracked page is not only loose again but reduced in  size!
Illustrations
are sometimes printed on heavy paper, but a title  page, as shown, is
pretty
risky in this respect.

The preferred technique is to apply the glue to the edge of the loose
page,
using the brush held perpendicular to the edge.  (This requires a bit of
practice.)  Thus the glue area has a slightly irregular edge  and
minimizes the
fault-line problem.  This can be done by any small  brush, but it
gets pretty
tedious with most.  A better brush is made in a  fan shape and is
available from
art supply shops.  It might help to trim  the fan brush a bit to make
its
edge straight.  I would not rule out some  makeup brushes.

This was one of the points taught at the Cattailrun.com book repair
school,
which I heartily recommend.  It is good for your books and maybe for
your
spirit, almost a day of vacation.

Cheers,

Donald D.  Ramsey