Modern Library Lookalikes

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Fri Dec 30 19:55:56 EST 2005

I was just going over the entry in my ML bibliography for
Norman Douglas's Old Calabria (1928) this afternoon.  It was
the first U.S. edition printed from an American typesetting --
the original American publisher (Houghton Mifflin) used
imported British sheets.  Cerf offered a duplicate set of ML
plates to Martin Secker for use in the New Adelphi Library,
but Secker decided not to include Old Calabria in his series.
   Secker was no dummy; Old Calabria turned out to be one of
the ML's worst-selling titles.

An earlier and more successful example of trans-Atlantic
cooperation was Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights, published in
the ML in 1926 with an introduction by Rose Macaulay.
Wuthering Heights also appeared in Jonathan Cape's Traveller's
Library in 1926.  Except for the preliminaries, the ML and
Traveller's Library editions are printed from identical
plates.  In this case the typography is characteristic of the
British series rather than ML books of the period, so I assume
it was Cape who sold duplicate plates to the ML.  Both
editions share the Macaulay introduction, though the New
Traveller's Library uses a slightly abridged version of the
introduction that Liveright commissioned for the ML.

Barry