G8 or G9?

Madaline Reddy mac-reddy at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 27 21:52:39 EST 2005

Hi Ron,

Here's a copy of my response to John's email:

Hi John,
Thanks for researching this but I am a bit confused.
1) You meant to say that your copy is a G8 spine as
opposed to a G9 spine, right? This G8 spine has a
discrepancy with its 1982 copyright, correct? If it
were a G9 spine, 1982 would be just right!  It is a
bit of an eyeache, though, to distinguish between a G8
and a G9 spine. The logos are much easier to
distinguish. The G8 logo torchbearer runs free and the
G9 torchbearer is enclosed in a rectangle. The book
has a G8 logo, for sure which is the whole problem.

I'd say rust is a good color to call the book and yes,
mine has the same (ISBN? numbers on the back. Alas, my
husband gave me the book as a gift and cut out the
price with a pinking shears!  He left the Modern
Library words and the printed picture of the G8 logo
on it, right next to where the price was, though! Yes,
too, that the dust jacket cover is the same on front
and back. So, would you call it a G9?

I hope I haven't opened a can of worms. I'm trying to
figure out what's what with my collection. I will
probably have more questions. This is the first
problem that I came across. Thanks!

I'd be happy to send the photos. I will try to do so
soon. John, if you have a camera ready and would like
to, be my guest.

Madaline