G8 or G9?

Cottonwood Books cottonwoodbooks at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 27 16:50:08 EST 2005

Is it the brown paper-covered boards, with the blind-stamping in the upper right corner of the front?  No dust jacket?

  blc

modlib at alltel.net wrote:
  Hi Madaline,

> The spine of Moby Dick appears to be a G8; endpapers
> are plain like a G8(GA); the logo is blind stamped
> like a G8 and is perfect bound (?). A G8 is supposed
> to be published between 1977-1980. It is, however, a
> 1982 Modern Library edition, which causes me to
> believe it is actually a G9. Regular MLs, according to
> the Guide, sometimes have anomalies when publisher
> used an inappropriate type of binding--would this be
> true even in the eighties?

Where does it say 1982 Modern Library edition? And the blind-stamped image is that awful late 60's era torchbearer? That is strange. I suppose there is no reason why inventory issues would not be present in the early 80's as they were in years earlier.

ron