Clarification needed on Caldwell "God's Little Acre" variations

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Mon Dec 26 21:43:38 EST 2005

I haven't seen any copies with Caldwell's introduction but
without the appendix -- I'd be very interested to have a
confirmation if this exists.

God's Little Acre was published in the ML in spring 1934,
printed from the original Viking Press plates (303 pp.)

Little, Brown & Co. (which had acquired rights to the book)
reset God's Little Acre in 1957.  The new typesetting also had
303 pages.  The dedication, biographical note and
bibliography, introduction, and appendix were omitted from the
new edition at Caldwell's request.  The first ML printing I've
seen from the new plates was fall 1958 (let me know if you
have an earlier printing!)  The new plates were also used for
printings by Grosset & Dunlap, but never to my knowledge by
Little, Brown itself.

Barry