G8 or G9?

Madaline Reddy mac-reddy at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 26 12:10:02 EST 2005

Happy Holidays!

Could anyone take a moment from the fun to solve this
situation:

The spine of Moby Dick appears to be a G8; endpapers
are plain like a G8(GA); the logo is blind stamped
like a G8 and is perfect bound (?). A G8 is supposed
to be published between 1977-1980. It is, however,  a
1982 Modern Library edition, which causes me to
believe it is actually a G9. Regular MLs, according to
the Guide, sometimes have anomalies when publisher
used an inappropriate type of binding--would this be
true even in the eighties?

Please keep in mind that I am new to this endeavor. I
see that some endpapers can be individualized, etc.
I'd just like to get organized but I'm not certain on
some of the books. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Madaline