British Giant Find 11.1

Cottonwood Books cottonwoodbooks at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 24 14:23:46 EST 2005

     Essays of Montaigne.  It is in a G2 binding (blue), so it is from either 1932 or 1933.  No dj (of course) and no catalog in back.  I don't have a contemporary US copy to compare it to, but I do have one from 1941, and the title page lacks the torchbearer and has a different style ornament line under the title (if that makes sense).  The other interesting thing, it is printed in green.  It does state Printed in USA on verso of title page.  The other 2 British eds. I have are brownish, as are John Wolasnky's British copies on dogeared.  The half title page is also printed in green and has the same style ornament line.  There is no "Publishers Would Be Happy to Send You..." statement on the verso of half-title page, like my 1941 copy has.  This is a Hamish Hamilton copy, but lacks the name.  Does anyone have an idea which came first, the named or unnamed?  My British regulars both have type 7 bindings, but different title pages.  I did notice today that the title pages with Hamish
 Hamilton's name on it also have the postcode in the address, but the ones without lack the postcode.  At least I think it's a postcode (W.C.I., i.e. Wolansky's Clinker pictured at dogeared).

  benj clark

  PS,
  link to the Montaigne title page: http://tinyurl.com/7ev8y