Unusual #8?

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Fri Dec 23 11:19:30 EST 2005

Top-edge staining ceased after fall 1962.  Printing and
binding are separate steps in book manufacturing.  Sheets are
printed, folded and sewn, then endpapers are tipped in.
Finally the book is bound or "cased" (the folded and sewn
sheets are mated with a separately manufactured casing made
from binders board and cloth).  No printed sheets that were
bound in spring 1963 have stained top edges.  The #9 binding
was introduced in spring 1963, but since bindings are
manufactured separately from the printed sheets, leftover #8
bindings could be mated with books printed in spring 1963.
Similarly, if an entire printing wasn't bound at the same time
there could be leftover sheets mated with later style
bindings.  This was common in the Boni and Liveright era, when
printed sheets were often stored unbound and bound as needed.
 When Cerf and Klopfer acquired the Modern Library in 1925,
they inherited a lot of B&L stock "in sheets" (without
bindings) which they sold in #4 bindings.

Barry