Lighter Fluid (was Re: Buckrams (again))

J B Krygier jbkrygier at owu.edu
Thu Dec 22 10:43:55 EST 2005

On Dec 22, 2005, at 2:45 PM, JOSEPH HILL wrote:

> If it's a sticker;RONSONOL lighter fuel

I am a Zippo brand lighter fluid fan (having a soft spot in my heart
for the industries of north-central Pennsylvania).

I have had great luck with lighter fluid for just about any book
clean up task.  It removes tape and tape residue, dirt, stickers,
etc. and does not seem to lead to any long term problems.  I have
even used it, with success, to remove tape from non-glossy dust
jackets.

My only suggestion is to use it in a well ventilated area, or
maybe even use a mask.  One tends to hunch over the work, and
too many snootfulls of evaporating lighter fluid are not a good
thing.  I suspect that a bit too much inhaled lighter fluid may
account for many of the slightly loopy used book store owners
in the world.

John K.