British Moby Dick

Cottonwood Books cottonwoodbooks at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 22 06:17:50 EST 2005

Well, I found another British Moby Dick.  It sounds identical to John Wolansky's copy, except I don't have a dj.  Mine is pretty worn.  There is no gilding left on the spine.  Interestingly, pencilled on the ffep is 3/6, the original price.  Also, on the last few blank pages, there is an embossed label from a bookshop.  The differences between the later Moby Dick and the earlier British copy I have, besides what is noted by John Wolansky on the British ML page on dogeared, is that the title page is printed on heavier paper and Printed in the USA is not on the verso.  On my earlier Wisdom of Confucious, it states Printed in the USA on the verso of the title page, as I'm sure it does on JW's Clinker.

  Henry and Alan,
     I havn't heard if you have Bodley Head or Hamish Hamilton copies, and if they have dj's.  Would still like to know and love to see the dj's and a Bodley title page.  Didn't Lane only buy sheets from ML and have them bound in England?

  benjamin l clark

http://mail.yahoo.com