UNUSUAL BINDING ON AN ILLUSTRATED MODERN LIBRARY JANE EYRE

JPetersonlhi at aol.com JPetersonlhi at aol.com
Sun Dec 18 23:09:09 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/18/2005 9:22:39 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
jwol at fast.net writes:
eBay item 6590142571 has an Illustrated ML copyright page and slipcase, but
an upscale binding.  Anyone know what's what?

John Wolansky
I believe that this is one of the ML Illustrateds that was published by the
Barnes (?) Publishing During WW II.  If I remember the story correctly, Modern
Library had nearly exhausted their allottment of paper, so  negotiated with
this other publishing house to temporarily print the MLs.  If you look closely
at the picture with words from inside the book, it says Barnes, where my copy
of Jane Eyre says Modern Library.

John Peterson