Comments on new FAQ item please

J B Krygier jbkrygier at owu.edu
Wed Aug 17 10:03:40 EDT 2005

On Aug 16, 2005, at 2:59 PM, Scot Kamins wrote:

> What do you think? Have I hit the mark? What would you change?

Overall excellent; a few minor comments:

 > Modern Library books with dust jackets are worth orders of
 > magnitude more than books without dust jackets. In fact,
 > it's safe to say that with rare exception (the Illustrated
 > Don Quixote stands out) ML books without dust jackets are
 > worth a few dollars at best.

Don AND Alice would probably be good sellers with our without
a DJ.  You have material on Alice on Dogeared, but maybe you
need a page on Don (why so valuable - mention the Dali thing,
maybe the later reprint of the ML ed.). Buckram editions (not
x-library) (and the link to that part of Dogeared) might be
mentioned here also.

 > Where You Sell Counts: The value that you determine using
 > the above method tells you what you can expect to get from
 > a collector at auction. Here's a list that shows, in descending
 > order, where you can expect to get the most money for your book:

 > Auction such as eBay

It may also be worth noting that WHO is selling the book
matters; known trustworthy ML sellers will probably get
more $$ than general sellers when they are selling similar
ML items.  Not much one can do about this.

John K.