FOR THE REALLY SERIOUS COLLECTOR, MODERN LIBRARY BOOKS TO 1975 ...

modlib at alltel.net modlib at alltel.net
Mon Aug 1 15:13:56 EDT 2005

I am confused; quoting Mr. Toledano:

"The great days, rather decades, of the Modern Library were beginning to come to an end in 1963. ...<snip>... In 1970 The Modern Library, which had been in print for over fifty years ceased. The last books in the series were William Styron's Nat Turner (number 396) in the standard format and Between Hume and Mill in the Giants (number 102).

Post-Revival

The Modern Library was revived in 1977. As far as I can see the object was to return the series to its original aims, i.e. to produce good literature cheap."

So, how can this be?  Were they just selling old stock?

ron