A slightly different track

20 Ants archetype at 20ants.com
Sat Apr 16 00:11:23 EDT 2005

Of course the answer to all questions is 'money' and that's what's driving
this kind of publishing.

The resurgence of ML and Everyman's L is the same as the many publishers
publishing "classic" literature again. It's literature by dead guys with
expired copyrights and can be published royalty-free.

Publishers are trying every trick to squeeze profit from anything. They
don't like dealing with backlist books any more, as they don't want to
inventory them and risk that the books will go totally out of fashion and
be unsellable. Classic literature is less likely to go out of fashion and
the publishers get to pat themselves on the backs over reintroducing
classic lit.

-Michael

At 12:36 PM 4/15/2005, you wrote:
>At 10:18 AM -0700 4/15/05, JOSEPH HILL wrote:
>>  >Yes,when I was a kid,you could buy a newspaper for three cents and toys
>>>were made of cast iron and not plastic....etc
>>  >"You Can't Go Home Again"
>
>That's not the point, Joe. It doesn't have to do with the ABSOLUTE price
>of the books, but rather with the RELATIVE price of the books compared to
>other publishers.
>
>ML used to sell books at around 2/3rds what other publishers were selling
>the same books for; further, ML books had just as durable bindings and the
>art was often better. The paper was often not great, to be sure, but what
>they used certainly has stood the test of time.
>
>Compared to other publishers, the classic period (1917-1963 or so) saw ML
>producing great value for the reading public. This is no longer true.
>There's little reason to by ML over any other publisher.
>
>--
>Scot Kamins
>
>"Work like you don't need money,
>Love like you've never been hurt,
>Dance like no one's watching."
>                  -Satchel Paige

20 Ants
5709 Broadway St. Indianapolis IN 46220-2569

   Books & materials subject to prior sale, order by e-mail or telephone.
   Prices are net USD, payment by PayPal to archetype at 20ants.com,
   or international money order/check with order. Indiana pays 6% tax.
   Institutions invoiced. Books returnable in 10 days: contact us first.
   Domestic S&H: $3.50 1st book, $1.00 per additional book by USPS
   at Media rate. International, Priority Mail, or other carrier by quotation.
   books, individually and in lots,  specialties are non-fiction & literature
   Member: Independent Online Booksellers Association (IOBA)