A slightly different track

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Fri Apr 15 13:36:00 EDT 2005

At 10:18 AM -0700 4/15/05, JOSEPH HILL wrote:
>  >Yes,when I was a kid,you could buy a newspaper for three cents and toys
>>were made of cast iron and not plastic....etc
>  >"You Can't Go Home Again"

That's not the point, Joe. It doesn't have to do with the ABSOLUTE
price of the books, but rather with the RELATIVE price of the books
compared to other publishers.

ML used to sell books at around 2/3rds what other publishers were
selling the same books for; further, ML books had just as durable
bindings and the art was often better. The paper was often not great,
to be sure, but what they used certainly has stood the test of time.

Compared to other publishers, the classic period (1917-1963 or so)
saw ML producing great value for the reading public. This is no
longer true. There's little reason to by ML over any other publisher.

"Work like you don't need money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching."
                  -Satchel Paige