A slightly different track

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Fri Apr 15 12:45:14 EDT 2005

At 12:22 PM -0400 4/15/05, Morris, Terry wrote (in part):

>Not to mention the prices are out of whack. I
>certainly do not expect to pay $2.95 for a title
>but some of the new ones are over $20, inflation
>not with standing. I know that original
>publications are closer in price to $30 then $20
>but it still seems high to me and not really in
>the spirit of the modern library. I may be naïve
>here. I am a capitalist of course. Notice my
>signature? I'm in SALES!
>
>The new Modern Library just leaves a bad taste.
>I'm thinking of publishing a competitive series.

I (mostly) agree. While I like the style - and
content - of some of the 90's pubs (Einstein's
Ideas & Opinions, Kühn's History of the Catholic
Church) and buy them used as reading copies from
half.com, pricing is way out of whack with the
original series intention.

I certainly wouldn't collect them.

"Work like you don't need money,
Love like you've never been hurt,