ML in a movie

Allbooks at aol.com Allbooks at aol.com
Thu Apr 14 14:45:16 EDT 2005

This was posted on another list I receive.

Don Ramsey

>From the Respect for Literature Department:

Last year there was a movie called "Mr. 3000" about an arrogant ass of a
baseball player who suddenly quits his team and abandons his few fans when
he gets his 3000th hit and potentially makes the hall of fame. Of course
karma dictates that the tabulation is wrong and months later he has to
rejoin the now-disgruntled team to make two more hits. Along the way he is
humbled and ultimately learns the expected life lessons before an
appropriate ending where he sacrifices his pride for the good of the team.
It's all fairly predictable, but a nice, fun movie and worth a few bucks to
see. The main idea, here, is...

At the end of the movie, after he's "reformed" by his life lessons, he's in
a brief scene in a park-like setting with his girlfriend. He's lying on the
grass reading what is obviously a Modern Library edition (sans dust jacket)
front and center in the frame. Goes by too fast for me to tell what the
title might be. The point is that he's gotten serious about the pleasure of
intellectual pursuit and the writers thought that an ML exemplified this.
And it was probably cost-effective as a prop.

-Michael

Don Ramsey
ALL BOOKS CONSIDERED http://www.allbooksconsidered.com/
10408 Montgomery Ave., Kensington MD 20895 (301) 929-0036

Member, Washington Antiquarian Booksellers Association
Search at www.WABAbooks.com