Title count on 1st of G67.1?

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Tue Apr 12 08:50:30 EDT 2005

The first printing of An Anthology of Famous English and
American Poetry (with the statement "First Modern Library
Giant Edition 1945") was published in fall 1945 and has a
fall 1945 (306) jacket.  It was published late in the year
and is listed in Publishers' Weekly "Weekly Record" of
December 15, 1945. I don't know the size of the first
printing but it may have been smaller than usual because of
wartime paper shortages.

The second printing (identical to the first except for the
omission of the "First" statement) also excluded the Pound
poems.  This must have been published early in 1946.  The
collector noted below and Alan Oestreich both have copies of
this in a fall 1945 jacket; I believe Alan's copy is dated
Nov. 4, 1946 by an early owner.  I don't know whether the ML
printed extra copies of the original jacket and used them
for the second printing, or whether the second printing came
so soon after the first (say January 1946) that newly
printed jackets still had the fall 1945 list.

Cerf reconsidered his position about the exclusion of
Pound's poems -- partly in response to W. H. Auden's threat
to leave Random House over the issue.  In March 1946 he
agreed to restore the poems in the next printing.  I have a
note somewhere about a July 1946 printing, but I don't know
whether that's the second printing without the Pound poems
or the first printing with them.

The earliest copy I've seen with the Pound poems restored is
spring 1947 (322 jacket).  If anyone has an earlier copy
with the Pound poems (pp. 788-798) please let me know!

Barry