Correction -- Cass Timberlane; Newton Amenities

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Apr 10 10:15:01 EDT 2005

As several members of the list have noted, I misspoke in
yesterday's posting.  It's the fall 1957 first printing only
that has the red jacket.  The green jacket is used from
spring 1958 on.

Cass Timberlane is further complicated by the fact that
the "First ML" statement appears on the first two
printings.  Even without jackets the printings can be
distinguished by the list of ML Giants at the end of the
volume.  The list in the fall 1957 true first printing shows
80 Giants with G31 being Famous Sciene-Fiction Stories.  The
list in the spring 1958 second printing shows 81 Giants with
G81 being Encyclopedia of Modern American Humor.

As far as I know there was only one ML printing of Newton's
Amenities of Book Collecting, probably for 7,000 copies (the
printer quoted costs for 5,000 and 7,000 copies, but I'm not
certain which the ML went with).  The ML edition was
published in December 1935 and discontinued five years later
in December 1940, so it's unlikely there was a second
printing.

However, Amenities of Book Collecting was printed from
offset lithographic plates.  When this type of printing was
used the "First ML" statement was almost always retained on
subsequent printings -- as it was with Thurber Carnival,for
example.

Barry

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor