A Sad Note

rchrist5 at rochester.rr.com rchrist5 at rochester.rr.com
Thu Sep 23 06:24:18 EDT 2004

I feel like i have to reply to your comments about reading, education,
and especially Tom Sawyer.

I am a teacher, 8th grade English, and in 7th grade, we teach Tom
Sawyer. The kids love it, but, the book has to be taught––it really is
beyond most children that age. The context of the book is really beyond
them, it takes some background knowledge to fully appreciate all of
Twain's subtle––and not so subtle––humor.

We are not a nation of readers; it's as simple as that. During
vacations, I assign books to kids and the day we come back, we have a
test on the novel. During the summer, my honors students had to read
two books and write an essay, my regular kids had one book and also an
essay.

After one particularly long Christmas break––2 weeks––a girl came back
to class and failed the novel test on the assigned vacation book. I
called her Mom to let her know how her child had fared. Mom replied
that she knew she would fail, because she had told her child not to
read the book, because it wasn't fair that the kids had to do work over
vacation. Then she implied further––it also wasn't fair that the kids
had to read, while their teacher took full advantage of vacation by not
teaching.

We are not a nation of readers––reading is not entwined in the fabric
of our lives like television, Gameboy, soccer or hockey practice. We
are not a nation of thinkers either––evidence the hypocrisy of our
government and its leaders. We don't question anything––our press
doesn't do it, and we are too lazy to do it. A free society must be an
educated one, an educated one must be free. I think we have it pretty
good here, so we've gotten a little lazy.

Chris