A Sad Note

Jack Pickens jackpickens at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 21 20:07:19 EDT 2004

Children of today seem to be on their own to learn and do. How many children
sit down at the dinner table with their parents? Less than 33%. While it is
convenient to blame public schooling for this gap in learning, perhaps we
all need to look at the family setting. My children didn't learn the basics
from school, but from my wife and me. It was our resonsibilty and we
accepted it. Far too many parents view their children's education as a given
right to be provided by an over burdened teacher. As Scot says, " Don't get
me started."
Jack

>From: Scot Kamins <kamins at dogeared.com>
>To: modlib at algol.owu.edu
>CC: GOODBOOKS at webtv.net (JOSEPH HILL)
>Subject: Re: A Sad Note
>Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:08:22 -0700
>
>At 2:49 PM -0700 9/21/04, JOSEPH HILL wrote:
>>A little off ML..but I have been a bad boy before.
>>Under,"Books For Young People"in Everyman's Library,I have
just
>>finished
>>reading,Children Of The New Forest (1847). I have great doubts that
>>few
>>children could master the reading of that title today  (I had to
>>use the
>>dictionary).
>>One cannot help being amazed how far we have come in education in
>>the
>>past 150 years...is it all due to TV?
>>

>I don't know the cause, but I can certainly testify that children
>are far worse educated than when I was young. I also see a general
>lack of care given to grammar in news stories on both the Internet
>(CNN) and on television, and in the speech patterns of famous
>citizenry. For example, when did "waiting on" become
interchangeable
>with "waiting for?" When did the word "often" begin
to have that
>silent "t" pronounced, and how long has "chasm" had
its "ch"