A Sad Note

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Tue Sep 21 18:08:22 EDT 2004

At 2:49 PM -0700 9/21/04, JOSEPH HILL wrote:
>A little off ML..but I have been a bad boy before.
>Under,"Books For Young People"in Everyman's Library,I have just finished
>reading,Children Of The New Forest (1847). I have great doubts that few
>children could master the reading of that title today  (I had to use the
>dictionary).
>One cannot help being amazed how far we have come in education in the
>past 150 years...is it all due to TV?

I don't know the cause, but I can certainly testify that children are
far worse educated than when I was young. I also see a general lack
of care given to grammar in news stories on both the Internet (CNN)
and on television, and in the speech patterns of famous citizenry.
For example, when did "waiting on" become interchangeable with
"waiting for?" When did the word "often" begin to have that silent
"t" pronounced, and how long has "chasm" had its "ch" pronounced as
in "choice?"

DON'T get me started!!!
--
-Scot "Nucular is Not a Word" Kamins