Fwd: ISSUE WITH DUST JACKETS NUMBERS INDICATING AGE OF JACKET ....

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Mon Sep 13 00:19:00 EDT 2004

I'm a little puzzled by all this.  ON WAR was published in
September 1943.  The correct number of titles in fall 1943
jackets is 292, which is what my first has.  This is also
the number Henry gives for ON WAR.   John's 294 must be a
typo -- I don't know of any jackets that listed 294 titles.
I'd love to see a photocopy if it does say 294!  Everything
else John says about the first dj agrees with my copy of the
first printing.  (Bear in mind that the rear flap is a list
of "best-selling" Giants only.)

The jacket on the later printing (non-first) has a fall 1942
list (284 titles) inside the jacket.  The 299 on the back
panel dates it to spring 1944.  I've seen several spring
1944 jackets, but I think the ones I've seen list 299 titles
inside the jacket.

I'm sure John is correct that the lists inside the jackets
were printed in bulk, and the outside of the jackets were
printed for individual titles at a later date.  Bear in mind
that all publishers were coping with paper shortages in 1944
and using every scrap of paper they could put their hands
on.  Jackets printed on one side with out-of-date lists were
probably tossed out before the war; during wartime they
would have been used.  Paper shortages were even more
critical in Britain than they were in the United States.
Just this afternoon I was looking at a British edition of
Reinhold Niebuhr's The Children of Light and the Children of
Darkness, published in 1945.  The jacket is printed on the
verso of the jacket of an entirely different (and larger)
book, trimmed to the size of the Niebuhr book.  The paper of
leftover jackets was too precious to waste and seems to have
been recycled whenever possible.  This is the first ML
example brought to my attention.  I expect there are others.

Barry