I'll get back to everybody - I promise!

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Fri Sep 3 18:18:27 EDT 2004

Folks,

Thanks for all the responses to my "For Sale" posting. I'll get back
to everybody about their book requests, I hope by the end of this
weekend. I hadn't expected the great interest from so many people, so
I can't get back to everybody individually right away - just be
assured that I will respond.

Also, thanks much to all the nice comments folks have sent about the
contributions I've made to the hobby. My contributions pale in
comparison to the pioneering work done by my first mentor Henry
Toledano and to the ongoing contributions that many members of this
mailing list make. If it weren't for him, many of us would never have
gotten into this hobby in the first place.

As to all the folks asking why I'm leaving, let me steal from an
exchange I just had with one of you in private e-mail:

Doing the DJ project had a lot to do with finally getting finished
with collecting ML's. Having all those images is in a strange way
like having the books themselves. And I was a clearing house for all
those wonderful details to be added to the Notes & FAQs sections
contributed by so many folks to dogeared - the trivia of ML as it
were. I learned just about all the major things there were to learn
about ML - not to the level that Barry or Joe or Henry have attained,
but certainly enough to satisfy me.

I'm staying subscribed to the mailing list, and will continue to
answer questions from folks when I can. And even though I'm out of
the hobby as such, I look forward to the next edition of The Guide!

"Modern Library books are intended to be read and not just to be
stuck away in bookcases like old sets of Balzac and Victor Hugo..."
                    - Bennett Cerf