Figuring out what DJs are missing

John Krygier jbkrygie at owu.edu
Sun Oct 24 09:24:03 EDT 2004

On Oct 24, 2004, at 12:55 AM, Scot Kamins wrote:

> Some time ago somebody on the ListServ suggested that an interesting
> project might be to inventory the missing dust jackets from the
> database.

> Are there other reliable indicators we can count on?

One way to approach this is to use the information in Henry's Guide.
Some BRAVE volunteer needs to sit down and go through and see which
DJs are indicated in the Guide and not at Dogeared.  I believe this
would net a decent "want list."  This would make it easy for people
to check and see if they have the missing DJs.

Top of the want list should be titles that are missing (such as the
list Scot sent out): many of these are early MLs, but Dogeared is
also missing a few early HC DJs from titles discontinued in the
early 1940s and a significant number of the late '60s redesigned
DJs.  All of these are in Henry's Guide.

More subtle variations are the early Cerf/Klopfer titles (an x in
the Guide) with no torchbearer on the front of the DJ.  Tougher
are blurb variations on early MLs.

There are certainly DJ variants not in the Guide, but why not
start with documented DJs that are missing...

John K.