Figuring out what DJs are missing

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sun Oct 24 00:55:57 EDT 2004

Folks,
Some time ago somebody on the ListServ suggested that an interesting
project might be to inventory the missing dust jackets from the
database. At the time I couldn't figure out how to do that. I still
think that it isn't possible to figure out all of it, but we might be
able to get part-way there - I think we can figure out how many at a
minimum are missing. It all depends on how reliable the information
in the Guide is about dust jacket style periods that don't overlap.

Here's what I mean:
1917 - 1926: B-L typographic style
1926 - 1928: small torchbearer
1928 - 1939: four color bands (two wide, two narrow)

After this (and even during the third period) it starts getting rough.

Theoretically, any book whose printings included the period 1925-1939
all should have at least these three types (assuming that every book
1928 -1939 came in the four color band design). There were many
pictorials in this 928 -1939 period as well, of course. And only a
few pre-1940 pictorials (such as Walden whose first was 1937) carried
over unchanged into the Blumenthal period, so we can assume that any
book whose printings fell between 1937 and 1945 probably have at
least two designs in that period. First catalog titles that lasted
through the entire series (to 1970) should have at least four DJ
variations.

Does this make sense?

Are there other reliable indicators we can count on?
--
Scot Kamins, FCB-0

Have you joined Dogeared yet?
Check out http://www.dogeared.com/General/howToSubscribe.html