What of that question about the colophon?

John Krygier jbkrygie at owu.edu
Sun Oct 10 16:58:44 EDT 2004

On Oct 8, 2004, at 2:50 PM, Scot Kamins wrote:

> Yesterday (I think) a new collector wrote about the Running
> Torchbearer colophon, asking as to its history and presence on ML
> titles. Actually, that collector joined the list and presented the
> question at my urging. I told him he was bound to get reat answers.
>
> You're all making me look bad!!!  Help me save face and respond to his
> query. Here it is again:

> I'm new (brand new) to ML collecting. I've been buying books for more
> than 20 years for my own pleasure. Many I still have. I've just become
> interested in collecting Modern 1st edition. What is the significance
> of the ML logo?   What difference does it make whether or not it is on
> a book or not?

One could write a book in response to this question...wait, someone did
write
a book.  Dash out and find a copy of:

Jay Satterfield.  The World's Best Books: Taste, Culture, and the
Modern Library.
Univ of Massachusetts Press, 2002.

Everything you wanted to know and much more.

For values, of course, Henry Toledano's Modern Library Price Guide, 2nd
ed.

And a copy of Gordon Neavill's dissertation about the ML.

And a full set of the Modern Library Collector.

With that pile of reading you too can become a professional ML
collector.

John K.