Maltese Falcon printings

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Fri Mar 19 16:55:32 EST 2004

Information about the number of printings of ML titles can
be elusive.  For the most part these records aren't in the
Random House archives at Columbia University.  In the case
of THE MALTESE FALCON, however, we're in luck.  Pocket Book
paperbacks in the 1940s often indicate the number of
printings of earlier imprints on the verso of the title
page.  The Pocket Books edition of MALTESE FALCON was
publised in August 1944.  The November 1944 second printing
(and I expect the first printing as well) list 6 Knopf
printings between February and November 1930 and 15 ML
printings between February 1934 and August 1943.  I'm not
sure whether the 6th ML printing (January 1940) is in the
original balloon cloth format or the new Blumenthal format--
I've never seen a copy of this printing.  If anyone has this
I'd like to know!  There were 5 printings between Feb. 1934
and Feb. 1939, and 9 printings between April 1941 and August
1943--a total of 15 ML printings prior to publication of the
Pocket Books edition.  The earliest printing I've seen in
the later format (with the McKnight Kauffer jacket) is
spring 1941.

The ML edition appears to have had trouble competing with
the Pocket Books paperback and was discontinued in fall
1949, leaving 6200 unsold copies in the warehouse.  Most of
these were remaindered in 1952.  I don't know how many
printings there were between 1943 and 1949.  Layman's
descriptive bibliography of Dashiell Hammett doesn't
indicate the number of printings of the ML edition.

Barry Neavill