1930 Moby Dick Illus. by Kent

Printmat at aol.com Printmat at aol.com
Mon Mar 15 11:37:49 EST 2004

There is no 1930 ML Giant edition -- the copyright refers to the Kent
drawings for the Lakeside Press limited edition, which were later reprinted in the ML
Giant. The first ML Giant edition of Moby Dick appeared in 1944, and the
copyright page for the first printing in that format must state "First Modern
Library Giant edition" or something similar. If it doesn't it's a later printing.
And yes, copyright notices are retained throughout a book's printing history,
and not just for MLs. They are not an indication of when the particular book
you're holding was printed.

best,
Bob Riedel