1930 Moby Dick Illus. by Kent

James Warren jaw8 at lehigh.edu
Mon Mar 15 09:13:04 EST 2004

I'm a new collector of Modern Library classics, and I've been puzzled by what
seems to be a discrepancy in ebay sales prices of this item.  Recently I
purchased a 1930 MLG edition of Moby Dick in VG condition with VG dust jacket
for what I thought was a reasonable $17.00.  This edition has the yellow Kent
illustration on a black background.  I have 2 questions which I hope you all
can help with:

1.  Recently an ebay seller advertised this same book (in worse condition!) as
a "first edition" (not first thus) and sold it for over $200 dollars.  Does
this make any sense?

2.  dogeared.com lists the aforementioned yellow on black dustjacket design as
used for 1956-1964 editions of this book, although my book clearly states
copyright 1930.  Were subsequent printings always dated on the books?

Thanks,

Jim
Harleysville, PA